AK Shorts, a program celebrating Alaskan filmmakers, is now accepting short film submissions. KUAC TV designed AK Shorts to showcase the creative talents of a broad cross section of individual filmmakers from across the state of Alaska.
AK Shorts is intended as a showcase for Alaskan filmmakers of all genres but will consider “Outside” submissions with content of relevance to Alaskans. All genres of film will be accepted for review including documentary, animation and experimental. The maximum length for submissions is 28 minutes. (Although shorter lengths are preferred, submissions in excess of 20 minutes may be considered for a longer format program under consideration. Such submissions will face more scrutiny for technical and artistic merit and audience appeal.) While films may have had a public viewing, AK Shorts is seeking films that have had limited public exposure. Student films are welcomed and encouraged.
- You must own or obtain all rights necessary, including music rights, in order to grant AK Shorts permission to broadcast your film on television and/or be shown on the KUAC TV website. Please make sure that you use only self-composed and self-recorded music, or fully licensed third-party music. If applicable, all copyrighted material must be cleared before submission and all relevant documents must be submitted with your entry. KUAC/UAF cannot be liable for the inclusion of any materials that infringe upon another’s copyright, this includes stock footage, music or any other element subject to copyright regulations. No film will be considered if KUAC TV has any concerns about copyright.
- Submitting entities are responsible for obtaining written releases granting the rights to use the name, likeness and performance from any individual appearing in any submission to AK Shorts. If a person appearing in a submission is a minor, the release must be obtained from a parent or legal guardian. KUAC TV reserves the right to request proof of such release in a form acceptable to KUAC TV from any submitter at any time during or after the broadcast, and to disqualify any submission at any time if unable to provide such proof to the satisfaction of KUAC-TV.
- KUAC TV assumes no responsibility for the acts or omissions of those individuals or entities submitting entries pursuant to this notice. All submitting entities and/or individuals are advised to include credits and to carefully review those credits prior to submission since all entries will air exactly as they are received.
- The evaluation process requires that KUAC TV make professional judgments about the technical and aesthetic merit of submissions and the suitability of content contained therein with a predilection toward stories that would otherwise not reach a significant Alaskan audience. In accordance with all applicable FCC rules and regulations, submissions must not contain any content that would be inappropriate for broadcasting on network television, as determined by KUAC TV at their sole discretion.
- All films must be in English or submitted with on-screen English subtitles.
- Electronic files via data DVD or external hard drive are the preferred means of delivery. (We will return your hard drive as soon as we possibly can.) Please make sure to check that your file works prior to sending. Retain a master copy for your records. Entries other than those on a hard drive will not be returned. DO NOT send your only copy. If you would like to submit your entry in another form, contact AK Shorts.
- The deadline for submissions is ongoing.
- Films must be complete with end credits prior to submission.
GRANT OF RIGHTS
By submitting to AK Shorts, you hereby grant to KUAC TV the non-exclusive rights to air your submission and/or to stream the submission online for a period of 10 years, and to use segments of the work for the promotion of AK Shorts. All film submissions are solely for the purposes outlined herein, and shall not be used by AK Shorts, its producers and/or KUAC TV for any other purpose except those outlined herein without the expressed written permission of the owner of the film. Submissions remain under the copyright jurisdiction of the Producer/Creator of the film. KUAC TV is also granted rights to edit submissions for length prior to air or streaming when running time may hinder our ability to air the submission. The film and end credits can be modified to accommodate length without altering film content (i.e. KUAC may accelerate the rate at which the credits appear on screen).
GOVERNING LAW/LIMITATION OF LIABILITY, ETC.:
Submitter agrees to indemnify and hold harmless the University of Alaska/University of Alaska Fairbanks/KUAC TV and their representatives against any and all claims of infringement from any third party for any use by KUAC-TV.
If any provision(s) of these requirements are held to be invalid or unenforceable, all remaining provisions hereof will remain in full force and effect.
Download the AK Shorts Submissions Form.
Inquiries about the delivery of electronic files can be made to email@example.com.