As many of you may know, NPR announced that it will end production of Talk of the Nation on June 27th, and Neal Conan is retiring after 11 years hosting the program. NPR plans to expand the WBUR-produced news program Here & Now from a one-hour to a two-hour show, updated for different time zones, with a new co-host Jeremy Hobson joining host Robin Young.
KUAC is looking at this as a positive opportunity to consider some great new programming, and to re-arrange some existing programs to create a better listening experience. Rest assured Science Friday with Ira Flatow will still be available to us, and we will continue airing it after Talk of the Nation ends production at the end of this month. Starting July 1st, some programs will move (Performance Today, Fresh Air), and some program additions will be made (TED Radio Hour, Marketplace Money, and Radiolab) all with the commitment to create programming that is thought provoking, trustworthy and even life changing.
We invite you to explore the frequently asked questions below and hope you find this informative. If you have any questions, suggestions or concerns, we’ve provided a feedback form below or please call KUAC at 907-474-7491.
- Why is Talk of the Nation going away?
- What is NPR offering in Talk of the Nation’s place?
- Will I still be able to listen to Science Friday and Talk of Alaska?
- Will this impact other programming?
- How much do the new programs cost KUAC?
- How was the decision made to move Performance Today, Fresh Air and add new programs?
- What’s the advantage of moving Performance Today & Fresh Air?
- Why doesn’t KUAC move Performance Today to before Afternoon Concert?
- It looks like we are losing 3 hours of classical music from the KUAC weekday schedule. Is this true?
- Why isn’t KUAC scheduling Fresh Air five days a week?
- What are the new programs you plan to add to the KUAC FM schedule?
- Did KUAC talk about this to the KUAC Community Advisory Council (CAC)?
- When will we hear these changes on KUAC?
- Who will be the local host during the additional hour of Here & Now?
- Will there be any changes to the local newscasts as a result of this programming change?
- Does it affect weekend programming?
Thank you for your feedback to KUAC. If you’d like us to respond to your comments, please be sure to provide a telephone number or an email address.